I am not really sure about my feelings here.
On the one hand it's full of my favorite elements:
- it's funny,
- it has dangerous alphas shifters,
- it has a man-child (reminds me strongly of Jory, don't ask),
- mystery and suspense,
- it has a damaged hero,
- and Dr. Evil an evil maniac out of control,
- it reminds me of Wolverine, Star Trek, and V (nods to NannyOgg). Those are mostly pleasant memories, but read on!
On the other hand:
- it's funny in a juvenile way most of the time,
- it has a 33 year old man-child, who belongs in high school with the rest of the bullies, the drama, and immaturity,
- it offers a very predictable suspense.
The story basically screams in your face who the bad guy is, him being the only shady character in the story,
- extensive interior design descriptions, sometimes at the most inconvenient times,
- abused "almost creamed his pants (while doing something)" wore off very fast.
Bottom line: I did enjoy the book in places, but I am not sure I will continue on when the sequel comes out.