There is a very disappointing amount of military action, considering the location as well as the length of the book. The story reads like a manual on werewolves, mostly werewolves' mating/sex. The language is dry and heavy with unnecessary details and peculiar military terms.
I am not a native speaker. I suspect a few of these words/abbreviations might be well known to those who grew up in the US, but then again, a lot of it is still a mystery to even your average American, who has nothing to do with the military - I know, I asked around and bugged the hell out of my husband and friends.
The book is not
The author should have provided a list of military terms and their translation, but since she didn't, this is for those of you who is not "in the know":
- US Marine Military Ranks, Lowest to Highest
- List of US Marine Corps acronyms and expressions
- Glossary of Military Terms & Slang
A few take outs:
- NCO: Non Commissioned Officer
- Victor: Military Armored Vehicle
Not sure why it's called a "victor". Definitely not a quick find on google. Didn't want to keep digging. Waste of time.
- Ka-Bar or K-bar: combat knife
- seven-mike: seven minutes
- oscar-mike: on the move
- Gunny: nickname for Gunnery Sergeant, improper to call a Master Gunnery Sergeant this
- RTB: return to base
- LPC: Leather Personnel Carrier. Combat boots or any shoes for that matter.
- OCS: Officer Candidate School or Officer Cadet School
- klick: kilometer
- BLUFOR: In military wargames, blue is generally used to represent friendly forces and red (though sometimes orange) to represent enemy forces.
- IDE: Improvised explosive device.
- EOD: Explosive Ordnance Disposal (Specialist Jobs).
- CP is, obviously, Combat Post, still took a sec for my mind to decypher. That's a sec that took me out
of the story.
- five-hotel: Five Hours? HOTEL - military phonetic for the letter 'H'
- three-golf: (Have NO frigging clue - Mrella). GOLF - military phonetic for the letter 'G'
- MCRD: Marine Corps Recruit Depot
If you speak military, good for you. If not, I hope the list helps.