The Red King by Rosemary O'Malley

The Red King - Rosemary O'Malley

DNF-ing at 60%, applying math, rounding up and marking as "read".

I get it that Rory suffered abuse and betrayal.
I get it that he was a lowly slave.
He and the author told us that many many times. So many times, in fact, that I am sick and tired of it.

I haven't seen him being a pirate, though both the author and Rory insist on it.
I haven't seen him defending the fishermen villages, though both the author and Rory insist on it. Again. I don't get it why the village he visited with Andrew is short of worshipping him.

What I do see is an angry and bitter man, who is using an innocent soul, manipulating Andrew, turning the boy he "loves" into a whore and coercing him to commit murder in the name of justice. Get your own revenge, with your own bloody hands, Rory.

I really hate the guy.

One star.

~~~*

I just have to add:

This is another book with too many words. I am clueless as to why some of the people and adventures are even in it, they carry no purpose at all. The book is packed, so to speak, with the proverbial guns that never get a chance to fire. Most of it is meaningless and tiresome.

I was promised more action and angst somewhere later in the book. Maybe I am too impatient, but I can't possibly enjoy a book that can only hold my interest in the beginning - 10%, somewhere later - 8%, and maybe another 6% closer to the end. It's absurd.

Mammarella