Play it again, Charlie - 20%

Play It Again, Charlie - R. Cooper

Very boring, very disjoint story about a middle-aged twink (after all, he IS in his mid-to-late twenties and it SHOWS, too) and a 37 year old octogenarian. No-no, I know exactly what octogenarian means, it's just if it wasn't for the author telling me, I would have never guessed he was anything younger than 80.

All characters live in parallel universes because it takes a whole paragraph for a question to reach the other person and then a whole other paragraph to get back the answer. Apparently, there is also a lot of interference and bad reception in general in between those universes, since the dialog doesn't always make sense.

Conversation example:

Jeanine: "You can come back here (to the gym) again..."

**that takes time to reach the other universe, because the author, after much musing about all things Charlie, says so herself**:

Charlie "answers finally": "A guy not calling."

There is also some time-travel involved. I never know where Charlie is - past or present or past-past.

He could be at the gym, and the next paragraph he is in his courtyard, looking at the lights and thinking "I should reset them" and you think he made it home, but - A-HA!  - HE IS NOT HOME!

He is even deeper in the past, thinking about how he was a cop and now he is not. So, you would expect him to come back to his faulty lights, but - SLAM! - He is back from the future.. past... whatever, at his GYM, like he'd never left, having a very meaningful conversation with Jeanine from the parallel universe.

The book calls for multiple drinks, because without them you just can't keep track of this sneaky Waldo-reincarnated.

I am considering DNF-ing it. It is seriously messing with my head and all my heard-learned grammar is now outta the window :(

Mammarella