Chaos Station

Chaos Station - Kelly Jensen, Jenn Burke

DNF-ed at 55%. One star for what I could stand to read.

The following is my personal opinion and my own impression of the book. I understand everyone else is loving it to pieces, but I managed to only last 55% before my patience and pain tolerance ran out.

Maybe it's because I've just finished absolutely brilliant Magpie Lord series, maybe it's because the characters are flat, boring, repetitious and predictable comparing to the vibrant personages of another brilliant series, "Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts", but I found "Chaos" to be an excruciatingly painful read.

Just a few thoughts on the characters:

Captain Elias. Too flat of a character; at times, under enough pressure, he even manages to cave in into a negative dimension, where he becomes completely invisible, like an annoying mosquito you try to tune out. Can't seem to get pass two lines: "He (Zed) is dangerous." and "I want him/you (Zed) off my ship." That's after he got his greedy paws on a good lump of cash from the above mentioned Zed.

Zed, your average martyr. A poor (not in a monetary sense), damaged yet noble soldier on a mission to save his fellow sister-in-arms gone rogue. A shy, humble trillionaire, who doesn't want to impose on anyone or, god forbid, say hi to his own loving siblings. It might get them in trouble. Why? Flick is here to explain, of course.

Then there is Flick. Fix. Whatever. He fixes shit. From microwaves to spaceships. A hacker with a golden heart. A poor, damaged, noble (you guessed it all) soul. He is here, it seems. for the sole purpose of explaining things and feelings to the other characters (aka "info dump" to us, readers). Maybe he is here for sex, too  ...I don't remember, neither do I care.

All in all - a predictable, boring piece of writing, chaotic and redundant, looping onto itself every other page. Frustrating.

Mammarella