Freedom by Jay Kirkpatrick

Freedom - Jay Kirkpatrick

This is it. Another DNF for me :( 2 stars is for what I've read so far.

***

I am sure it's a great book, everyone says so, anyway.

Unfortunately, there is so much going on with switching POVs and Tenses, it's annoying. Not confusing, just annoying. Present tense was never my favorite, so it must be me.

The story takes place in a dystopian society, where you get something only if you have something valuable to give back. Yet two men, both John Does, are picked from the side of a highway, treated for their wounds and completely taken care of ...in exchange for what? Nothing? Why? Out of the goodness of that society's heart? On an odd chance they might be empaths? Why was this charity extended to the two unknown, left for dead men, but not to other people, who live outside the city limits, who get thrown out, who are forgotten because they are not valuable enough or not useful anymore? What interested the higher ups in this particular couple? 45% into the book and that fact is still not explained.

I am not even going to start on Patrick, who I don't get a chance to see as a whole person and do not get a chance to know outside work and a rare interaction or two with his one friend. All I know is that he is a good man at heart. Kudos for him. Anything else? I have no clue, even tho the book is written from his POV and did I mention I am 45% in?

I might give it another try later, when I have more time, but right now I am filing this book under DNF.

Mammarella